- All incoming students, staff and faculty members are required to complete safety orientation. Please refer to the LFS Minimum Safety Training Recommendations for all Workers as a guideline. You may also access the training modules via New to LFS - Mandatory Training Modules.Preview Changes (opens in a new tab)
- All incoming students, staff and faculty members have to complete the LFS General Guide. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- LFS Lab Guide is also required for individual working in a laboratory environment. This document will be coming soon.
- LFS Lab Guide
- Please note that key/card access will NOT be granted until the training requirements are met and uploaded to https://training-report.landfood.ubc.ca.
All building access doors must remain closed and secured at all times. If you are the last one to leave a lab or office space after office hours, you are responsible for securing all windows and doors, and re-arming the space.
Please DO NOT PROP OPEN exterior doors or interior fire doors at any time!
- Mon – Thu 07:00 – 22:00
- Fri 07:00 – 18:00
- Sat 10:00 – 18:00
- Sun 12:00 – 18:00
- Holidays CLOSED
Outside of building hours, access to building is ONLY through FOB-designated entrances.
In the event of an emergency, call 911 first and then first aid at 604-822-4444.
- Pull the nearest fire alarm.
- Close the doors behind you as you exit a room.
- Follow the nearest exit route, and then call 911.
- Give them the full address of the building (2357 Main Mall), and the room number where the fire began.
- Wait for emergency personnel outside the main entrance of the building
- Provide SDS if necessary
- Same as FIRE.
- If possible, you should try to close the gas valve in the laboratory.
- Report the source/room of the leak to operations team.
- Evacuate the affected area. Shut down equipment.
- Isolate area and prevent re-entry.
- Call 911.
- Give them the full address of the building (2357 Main Mall), and the room number where the spill occurs.
- Provide the following information: any injuries, chemical name, quantity, hazards
- Wait for emergency personnel outside the main entrance of the building.
- Provide SDS
- Inform supervisor and operations team
- If someone is seriously injured, call 911, explain the nature of the injuries, and give location with address (2357 Main Mall) and room number. Supervisors of the person involved in the accident or incident must complete the required accident report via Centralized Accident/Incident Reporting System (CAIRS).
- For other work-related injuries, inform operations team after receiving treatment and check JOHSC for further information.
On Main Mall, between MacLeod and Computer Science Buildings
- The Building Emergency Response Plan is also available for your reference
- Eye wash stations, safety showers and chemical spill containment kits are located in all laboratories. The chemical spill treatment kit is located in room 208.
- Fire extinguishers are located in every lab and hallway. Be aware of the different types of extinguishers and their uses.
- Material Safety Data Sheets are located in each laboratory.
Local Safety Team (LST)
|Member Name||Role; Occupation(s)||Contact Email||Contact Number|
Desktop Systems Support Analyst
|Imelda Cheung||Technician, FNH||Imelda.Cheung@ubc.ca||604-827-0344|
|Jimmy Kyu Ha||
LST Student Rep;
|Glen Healy||Totem Field Technician||Glen.Healy@ubc.ca||604-822-2528|
LST Faculty Rep;
|Carson Li||Lab Coordinator||Carson.Li@ubc.ca|
|Andy Jeffries||Faculty Operations Manager||Andy.Jeffries@ubc.ca||604-822-3488|
UBC Emergency and Resource Contact
|Emergency Contact||Contact Number|
|Fire, Ambulance, Police, Hazardous Material Response||911|
|UBC Campus Security (24/7)||604-822-2222|
|UBC Central First Aid||604-822-4444|
|Poison Control Center||604-682-5050|
|Resource Contact||Contact Number|
|Access & Diversity||604-822-5844|
|AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre||604-827-5180|
|Building Operatios Call Centre (Trouble Calls)||604-822-2173|
|Counselling Services – Employee & Family Assistance Plan||1-800-387-4765|
|Equity & Inclusion Office||604-822-6353|
|Fire Department (Fire Prevention)||311|
|Office of the Ombudsperson for Students||604-822-6149|
|RCMP – University Detachment||604-224-1322|
|Risk Management Services||604-822-2029|
|Sexual Violence Prevention & Response||604-822-1588|
|Student Health Services||604-822-7011|
Terms of Reference
LFS LST-Terms-of-Reference - updated February 2020
Only the previous 3 months of minutes are located here. For earlier records, please contact the LST.