- All incoming students, staffs and faculty members are required to complete safety orientation. Please refer to the LFS Minimum Safety Training Recommendations for all Workers as a guideline.
- All incoming students, staffs and faculty members have to attend a site specific orientation with the operations team. Please email the UBC Farm Site Coordinator to set up a time.
- The Building Emergency Response Plan is also available for your reference.
- The following guides are also provided to supplement and summarize the necessary training for each individual:
- LFS Orientation – CSFS/Farm Field worker
- LFS Orientation – CSFS/Farm Office worker
- Please note that key access will NOT be granted until the safety orientation is complete and documented.
- Site Access Protocol apply to all staff, students, researchers, and visitors (UBC and public). Please review these thoroughly.
- Safety contact information is required
- Farm key sharing is not allowed
- Site orientation is requires
- Working alone policy for Farm
- When possible, staff and faculty should use the site during public open hours
- After-hours access policies
- After-hours group access policies
- Farm hours are seasonal and subject to change:
UBC Farm Public Open hours:
April-October: Monday to Saturday, 9 am to 5 pm
November-March: Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm
Closed to the public all statutory holidays, the Monday after the April statutory holiday, and December 26—31
- First aid for employees at UBC Vancouver campus is provided campus-wide 24/7 by a mobile service (Vancouver Fire Department) by calling 604-822-4444 (or 2-4444 from a University telephone).In the event of an emergency, call 911 first and then first aid at 604-822-4444.
- All incidents, injuries and near-misses are required to have an accident report filled for UBC Risk Management Services and Worksafe BC. Supervisors of the person involved in the accident and incident must fill complete the required accident/incident investigation report (CAIRS) within 24 hours of the incident date.
- Fire extinguishers are located in the Farm Centre and Harvest Hut. Be aware of the different types of extinguishers and their uses.
- Automated External Defibrillator (AED) unit is located in the Farm Centre - Kitchen
- If somebody is seriously injured at the Farm, call 911, explain the nature of the injuries, and give location with address and room number. The address of the UBC Farm (for fire and accidents) 3461 Ross Drive, UBC Vancouver.
- PLEASE NOTE: the Farm buildings have two names: one UBC-internal name, and one ‘common’ name (IE. Farm Centre = FORESTRY FIELD HOUSE SOUTH CAMPUS)
|Farm Centre||FORESTRY FIELD HOUSE SOUTH CAMPUS|
|Tool Shed||SERVICE AREA & PP SHOPS|
|Harvest hut||PLANT SCIENCE FIELD BUILDING|
|Macmillan 170||MACMILLAN 170|
In the event of an emergency, call 911 first and then first aid at 604-822-4444.
Pull the nearest fire alarm.
Close the doors behind you as you exit a room.
Follow the nearest exit route, and then call 911.
Give them the full address of the building (3461 Ross Drive), and the room number where the fire began.
Wait for emergency personnel outside the main entrance of the building
Provide SDS if necessary
- GAS LEAK
Same as FIRE.
Report the source/room of the leak to operations team.
- MAJOR SPILLS
Evacuate the affected area. Shut down equipment.
Isolate area and prevent re-entry.
Give them the full address of the building (3461 Ross Drive), and the room number where the spill occurs.
Provide the following information: any injuries, chemical name, quantity, hazards
Wait for emergency personnel outside the main entrance of the building.
Inform supervisor and operations team
If someone is seriously injured, call 911, explain the nature of the injuries, and give location with address (3461 Ross Drive) and room number. Supervisors of the person involved in the accident or incident must complete the required accident report via Centralized Accident/Incident Reporting System (CAIRS).
For other work-related injuries, inform operations team after receiving treatment and check JOHSC for further information.
- MUSTER LOCATION
At main entrance gate of Farm – near Events Field or parking lot.
The Building Emergency Response Plan is also available for your reference.
Fire extinguishers are located in Farm Centre and Harvest Hut buildings. Be aware of the different types of extinguishers and their uses.
Local Safety Team (LST)
|Member Name||Role; Occupation(s)||Contact Email||Contact Number|
Farm Field Manager
Site Coordinator and Events
|Clare Cullen||Operations Director||Clare.email@example.com||604-822-5092|
UBC Emergency and Resource Contact
|Emergency Contact||Contact Number|
|Fire, Ambulance, Police, Hazardous Material Response||911|
|UBC Campus Security (24/7)||604-822-2222|
|UBC Central First Aid||604-822-4444|
|Poison Control Center||604-682-5050|
|Resource Contact||Contact Number|
|Access & Diversity||604-822-5844|
|AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre||604-827-5180|
|Building Operatios Call Centre (Trouble Calls)||604-822-2173|
|Counselling Services – Employee & Family Assistance Plan||1-800-387-4765|
|Equity & Inclusion Office||604-822-6353|
|Fire Department (Fire Prevention)||311|
|Office of the Ombudsperson for Students||604-822-6149|
|RCMP – University Detachment||604-224-1322|
|Risk Management Services||604-822-2029|
|Sexual Violence Prevention & Response||604-822-1588|
|Student Health Services||604-822-7011|