The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance to faculty and staff when work computer is retained for personal use after employee’s resignation or retirement.
- Laptop, desktop or computer related devices were paid from University’s fund (including general operating, research, specific purposes and endowment funds).
- The device must have been purchased and used for longer than three years before request for personal possession.
- The option of repurchasing work computer for personal use is only open to resigned or retired faculty and staff members.
- All UBC data must be cleared from the device by LFS Learning Centre before personal possession.
- Find the original book value of the device acquired and the PG/Speed Chart where it was paid from.
- Search for five quotes with current market price for the same brand and same model for the device acquired. (Quotes can be obtained from online sources like: eBay, Amazon, Craigslist etc.)
- Trade in value is not considered as it doesn’t represent an equitable market price.
- Bring all five quotes to LFS Learning Centre for IT professional’s assessment.
- A personal cheque with an average amount of the five quotes should be submitted to LFS Finance along with all support document mentioned above.