- All incoming students, staff and faculty members are required to complete safety orientation. Please refer to the Mandatory Training as a guideline.
(opens in a new tab)
- All incoming students, staff and faculty members working in MCML building have to complete the LFS General Guide. Please email us at email@example.com if you have any questions.
- LFS General Guide, last updated Sept 7, 2021
- A video at https://youtu.be/J18CEZmPBUU is provided here to supplement the above LFS General Guide
- The Building Emergency Response Plan is also available for your reference.
- LFS Lab Guide is also required for individual working in a laboratory environment, which can be found on the New to LFS Labs page.
- Please note that key/card access will NOT be granted until the training requirements are met and uploaded to https://training-report.landfood.ubc.ca.
All building access doors must remain closed and secured at all times. If you are the last one to leave a lab or office space after office hours, you are responsible for securing all windows and doors, and re-arming the space.
Please DO NOT PROP OPEN exterior doors or interior fire doors at any time!
- Mon – Fri 07:00 – 18:00
- Sat/Sun/Holidays CLOSED
Outside of building hours, access to building is ONLY through FOB-designated entrances.
In the event of an emergency, call 911 first and then first aid at 604-822-4444.
- Pull the nearest fire alarm.
- Close the doors behind you as you exit a room.
- Follow the nearest exit route, and then call 911.
- Give them the full address of the building (2357 Main Mall), and the room number where the fire began.
- Wait for emergency personnel outside the main entrance of the building
- Provide SDS if necessary
- Same as FIRE.
- If possible, you should try to close the gas valve in the laboratory.
- Report the source/room of the leak to operations team.
- Evacuate the affected area. Shut down equipment.
- Isolate area and prevent re-entry.
- Call 911.
- Give them the full address of the building (2357 Main Mall), and the room number where the spill occurs.
- Provide the following information: any injuries, chemical name, quantity, hazards
- Wait for emergency personnel outside the main entrance of the building.
- Provide SDS
- Inform supervisor and operations team
- If someone is seriously injured, call 911, explain the nature of the injuries, and give location with address (2357 Main Mall) and room number. Supervisors of the person involved in the accident or incident must complete the required accident report via Centralized Accident/Incident Reporting System (CAIRS).
- For other work-related injuries, inform operations team after receiving treatment and check JOHSC for further information.
On Main Mall, between MacLeod and Computer Science Buildings
- The Building Emergency Response Plan is also available for your reference
- Eye wash stations, safety showers and chemical spill containment kits are located in all laboratories. The chemical spill treatment kit is located in room 208.
- Fire extinguishers are located in every lab and hallway. Be aware of the different types of extinguishers and their uses.
- Material Safety Data Sheets are located in each laboratory.
Local Safety Team (LST)
|Member Name||Role; Occupation(s)||Contact Email||Contact Number|
|Lewis Fausak||LST Chair; Technician, APBI||Lewis.Fausak@ubc.ca||604-822-4877|
|Imelda Cheung||Technician, FNH||Imelda.Cheung@ubc.ca||604-827-0344|
|Jimmy Kyu Ha||LST Student Rep; Graduate Student||Hgbhgb01@mail.ubc.ca||-|
|Peter Kalynyak||Totem Field Technician||Peter.Kalynyak@ubc.ca||604-822-2528|
|Thorsten Knipfer||LST Faculty Rep; Assistant Professor||Thorsten.Knipfer@ubc.ca||604-827-0929|
|Ishwinder Kamboj||Lab manager||Ishwinder.Kamboj@ubc.ca||-|
|Alan Lee||Lab Coordinator||Alan.Lee@ubc.ca||-|
|Jack Edgar||Lab manager||Jack.Edgar@ubc.ca||-|
|Andy Jeffries||Faculty Operations Manager||Andy.Jeffries@ubc.ca||604-822-3488|
UBC Emergency and Resource Contact
|Emergency Contact||Contact Number|
|Fire, Ambulance, Police, Hazardous Material Response||911|
|UBC Campus Security (24/7)||604-822-2222|
|UBC Central First Aid||604-822-4444|
|Poison Control Center||604-682-5050|
|Resource Contact||Contact Number|
|Access & Diversity||604-822-5844|
|AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre||604-827-5180|
|Building Operatios Call Centre (Trouble Calls)||604-822-2173|
|Counselling Services – Employee & Family Assistance Plan||1-800-387-4765|
|Equity & Inclusion Office||604-822-6353|
|Fire Department (Fire Prevention)||311|
|Office of the Ombudsperson for Students||604-822-6149|
|RCMP – University Detachment||604-224-1322|
|Safety Risk Services||604-822-2029|
|Sexual Violence Prevention & Response||604-822-1588|
|Student Health Services||604-822-7011|
Terms of Reference
LFS LST-Terms-of-Reference - updated February 2023
Only the previous 3 months of minutes are located here. For earlier records, please contact the LST.
MacMillanLSTmeeting minutes Mar 31, 2023
MacMillanLSTmeeting minutes Feb 24, 2023
MacMillanLSTmeeting minutes Jan 13, 2023
MacMillanLSTmeeting minutes Nov 18, 2022
MacMillanLSTmeeting minutes Oct 21, 2022
MacMillanLSTmeeting minutes Sept 15, 2022
MacMillanLSTmeeting minutes Aug 18, 2022
MacMillanLSTmeeting minutes Ju1 21, 2022
MacMillanLSTmeeting minutes Jun 16, 2022
MacMillanLSTmeeting minutes May 19, 2022
MacMillanLSTmeeting minutes Apr 21, 2022
MacMillanLSTmeeting minutes Mar 17, 2022